Alachua County Mamas
It's a date! Or rather... a play-date.
Easton and Camden's mamas are members of Alachua County Mamas... a group that meets several times a week so their little ones can play. Thursday they were at Squirrel Ridge Park in Gainesville.
"They talk about going to see their friends," Daphne Kiernan, group founder, said.
But these moms say their outings aren't just fun for the kids. They say it gives them an excuse to get out of the house... and interact with adults for a few hours.
"Not having that that adult interaction can kind of take a toll on you. It is important to get out and have that adult interaction and at the same time do something for the kids," Susan Quimby, group member, said.
Camden's mom Daphne Kiernan started the group two years ago, right after Camden was born. Daphne says her friends didn't have kids yet, and she needed to find some who did. Now, the group has almost 60 members.... moms and kids from all over Alachua County... and there are several events a week, everything from playground play-dates to potluck parties.
In fact, they've had over 500 events in two years.
"Word kind of got out and spread... there's some weeks that we have something every single day," Kiernan said.
This is Daniella Espevez's first time coming to an alachua county mama's outing. She and her son Alex Medford recently moved to gainesville, and she said it's good for both her and her son to make new friends.
"It feels good to talk to other adults for a little while. I need him to make new friends," Espevez said.
"I like to make new friends because I like to play with new people," Medford said.
And the same goes for the regular members. It's all about introducing yourself.
- Packed Church Remembers Mama Mosley & Granddaughter
- Alachua County Democratic Party Wants Alachua County Democratic Black Caucus Charter Revoked
- Alachua County Firefighters Protest Tentative County Budget
- Alachua County Resumes Search for New County Manager
- Alachua County Commission Makes Final Choice for County Manager
- Alachua County Resident Get's A Big Gift from the County
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Saves Woman from Pasco County
- Alachua County Sheriff Asks County Commission For More Money
- West Nile Virus Found in Alachua County
- Memorial Service Alachua County