Car Burglaries in Downtown Gainesville
Â Â Â "We were just walking to our car after we left the club," Nicole Clark, U-F student, said.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â But when they got to the car... Nicole Clark and Ashley Postell say they found Nicole's car vandalized after leaving the nightclub Whiskey Room in downtown Gainesville on November 8th.
Â Â Â Â The passenger side window was smashed in and the trunk had been opened... that was where they kept their purses... and Postell's was taken.
Â Â Â Â "They didn't get anything because I didn't have any cash and no money on my cards," Postell said.
Â Â Â Â When they called the police, Clark and Postell say they were told they were just two of many car break-in victims.Â People have been going in to bars and clubs downtown... and coming out to find their cars vandalized and their belongings stolen.
Â Â Â Â Â Purses are at the top of the theft list, but so are stereos, cameras and cash. in almost every case, windows were shattered.Â These thieves aren't targeting unlocked cars like in other recent cases...
Â Â Â Â "I was angry because I was thinking now I'm going to have to pay to get it fixed," Clark said.
Â Â Â Â One victim says her car had $600 worth of damage done to it... and the thief only got $5 in change.
Â Â Â Â Clark and Postell say they were also told by police that this area where they parked was unsafe. But they say, like many students, they parked on this street because it was free.
- Spike in Car Burglaries
- Number of Car Burglaries Increase in Haile Plantation
- Rash of Car Burglaries in Marion County
- Four Arrested Following String Of Car Burglaries
- String of Car Burglaries
- Plans To Improve Downtown Gainesville
- Gainesville Public Bus System Has New Downtown Home
- Gainesville Downtown Festival and Art Show
- Early Morning Fire in Downtown Area of Gainesville
- Upcoming Plies Concert Raises Security Concerns in Downtown Gainesville