GPD Holiday Detail
Gainesville police officer Brett Kikendall is on a special patrol this Black Friday. He's been assigned to work holiday detail.
"Holiday detail is basically overtime units that supplement officers that normally work the area during the holidays," says Kikendall. "For the increase of crimes that occur with the amount of people that are out."
Some of the areas focused on during holiday detail include the Oaks Mall and stores along Archer Road such as Target and Walmart. Officers keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. Shoppers say it's nice to have the extra police presence around.
"I think it's great," says Black Friday shopper Cynthia Jeyapaul. "Makes me feel safe. I know personally I've had some bad experiences in Gainesville in the past. I had my bike stolen and some other random things. So it makes me feel safer."
But even with the patrols shoppers aren't taking any chances.
"All my stuff I put in the trunk," says Denise Morales. "I don't leave any money, I don't leave anything visible."
But Kikendall says people still leave valuables clearly visible in their vehicles and some even leave them unlocked.
"It just invites people that are looking to find something easy, just come along and take it," says Kikendall.
However this part of the patrol was free of any Black Friday crimes.
"Today's been pretty quiet, hasn't been too bad," says Kikendall. "I've done them before, just depends on the day, but today hasn't been bad."
But officers will continue to keep an eye out for holiday shoppers, even if their eyes are on finding a great deal.
- FAMU Hazing Details Revealed
- New Details in Christian Aguilar Case
- New Details on Christmas Morning Shooting in Marion Oaks
- Grisly Details in Teen Murder Trial
- New Details in Ocala Hit and Run
- More Details On The Double Homicide At A High Springs Bar
- Gainesville Police Conducting Increased Traffic Detail Along Roadways
- Details in Deputy Involved Shooting
- New Details in Summerfield Murder
- Bravo Trial Day 7: Gruesome Details About Aguilar's Remains