The name is the same... but there's something important that's different about one local supermarket chain. Hitchcock's is no longer locally run.
While Alan Hitchcock expresses his gratitude, many are just happy to have been a part of a chapter in history that is now closed. Hitchcock's a long time grocery store that has been serving several North Central communities for sixty three years but now Alan Hitchcock has sold the family business.
The eleven store grocery chain was sold to a Minnesota based company on October 31st.
Even though the stores operating in small towns like Alachua, Archer, East Palatka, Hawthorne and several others, have been sold, management had a few requests for the new owners.
But before there can be an end, there has to be a beginning.
Here is where it all started. The late Bob Hitchcock opened the first Hitchcock grocery off main street in 1945.
Off of Main Street or which is also known as Bob Hitchcock Street in Alachua, Hitchcock's had several locations before finally settling into the last one in 2001.
Alan made sure his dad's legacy would continue when he took over the business when his dad passed in 1995.
Alan says he's not sure what the future holds, but he'll be around to make sure the family tradition continues.
Hitchcock still operates the store in Archer, which will be sold by the end of this year.
- The Hitchcock's Challenge- Day 1
- The Hitchcock's Challenge- Day 2
- The Hitchcock's Challenge- Day 3
- Hitchcock's Challenge Concludes, Bronson Holiday Tournament Enters Day Two
- Local Teams Win In Hitchcock's Challenge
- Day 1 Of The 2015 Hitchcock's Challenge In The Books
- Hitchcock's Challenge: Day 3 Highlights
- 2016 Hitchcock's Challenge: Day 1 Recap
- 2016 Hitchcock's Challenge: Day 2 Recap
- Santa Fe Advances to Finals of Hitchcock's Challenge