Battle of Hogtown
Â Â Â Â Ready.... Aim... Fire!
Â Â Â Â And the battle begins. Â
Â Â Â Â Or rather... the battle ended almost 150 years ago, but it was re-enacted today.
Â Â Â Â Â Hundreds of Union and Confederate reenactors, decked out in period uniforms, fought the Battle of Hogtown. Â
Â Â Â Â The actual battle took place on April 1, 1860, and Buck Custer's great-grandfather was there fighting that day.Â So for Custer, he says he's here to honor his family... and learn about history.
Â Â Â Â "I actually have ancestors on both sides.Â But since I'm living in the south, i sort of gravitated toward the confederate side," Custer said.
Â Â Â Â Custer says as he's gotten older, participating in battles has gotten tougher.Â So today he's an announcer, giving the audience a play-by-play of what they're seeing. Â
Â Â Â Â John McLean organized the event, and it's the second year for this civil war reenactment.Â He says as a sixth generation Floridian, he has strong ties to this community, and he thinks it's important for everyone to know its history.
Â Â Â Â "As soon as I get into my uniform, I am in 1860...Â We're trying to show people what happened in Alachua County in the 1860s," McLean said.
Â Â Â Â "I think it's important to let people know what the history is here and that these battles took place in this area," Joe Sasser, a spectator, said.
Â Â Â Â While many participants say they're here to fight a fight their ancestors once did, some younger "soldiers" say they're just here for the excitement of stepping onto a Civil War battle field.
Â Â Â Â " You get an adrenaline rush, and it's a bad one.Â It's awesome," Steven Hutchins, participant, said.
- Hogtown Craft Beer Festival Draws Brewers, Enthusiasts
- GRU Says to Avoid Contact With Hogtown Creek
- Residents Near Hogtown and Possum Creek Should Boil Water
- Bacteria growing in Hogtown Creek
- GRU telling people to avoid Hogtown Creek
- Healthcare Battle Continues
- Local Young Woman Battling Cystic Fibrosis Is On A Quest To Raise Awareness
- Developer, city officials battle over Heritage Oaks
- UF Student Battling Gigantism Wants to Advocate for Others
- Boys Battling Cancer Given VIP Treatment at Gatornationals