After a spike over the summer, the price of copper has dropped dramatically in recent month.
When employees at Clay Electric put away their stuff, they make sure it's secure. that's because this electric company has been victimized over and over again.
Alachua County Sheriff's Office Spokesperson Art Forgey says copper theft was at a high over the summer.
And it's headed for a low, Â at least for now.
Forgey attributes the downward trend to a recent drop in the value of copper and to recent changes in state law that require anyone selling the metal for recycling to show identification.
Two factors the folks at Clay Electric hope keep thieves off their property.
- Copper Theft Down-- For Now
- Copper Thefts
- New Copper Theft
- Copper Theft On The Rise
- Law Hopes To Deter Copper Thieves
- Thieves Busted for Stealing Copper
- For Sale Homes A Target For Copper Thieves
- Copper as a Hot Commodity
- New Copper Ordinance Scrapped until next County Meeting
- The Copper Monkey sold on eBay