Suspicious Luggage Found At Airport
Around 8:30am workers found three pieces of luggage tucked behind the concession counter at the Gainesville Regional Airport. Fearing it may be an explosive device they evacuated the terminal. As they were between flights, only 30 employees and a few passengers were affected. The entrance to the airport from 39th Avenue was blocked for 30 minutes while Gainesville Police and Fire personnel assessed the situation.
The Alachua Sheriffs bomb disposal team was called in and they were prepared to send a robot in to detonate the potential explosive.
Meanwhile, a flight landed at 10am, and passengers were picked up by buses and taken away from the terminal. That same plane was scheduled to leave at 11am, but was cancelled.
Authorities got in touch with a man who they believed left the luggage behind.
The man was 18 year old Moises Banrevy, who missed his 7:00am flight to Atlanta. He was planning on returning to the airport for a flight later Monday, so he left his luggage behind.
No charges will be filed against Banrevy. The airport was reopened around 11:00am.
- Suspicious Bag Found Downtown
- Suspicious Bag Investigated at Tallahassee Airport
- Suspicious Device Reported at Atlanta Airport
- Body Found Near Gainesville Airport
- Thieves Steal Money, Luggage from Calif. Tourists
- Fire Marshal Investigating Several Suspicious Fires in Marion County
- Suspicious Packages Identified in Marion County
- 11th Suspicious Letter Received in Marion County
- Suspicious Letters Scare in Marion County
- MCSO Investigating "Suspicious Death" Inside Ocklawaha Home