Traffic Alternatives for Archer Road
"I think we need to be able to get around this town," Jane Burman-Holtom, Gainesville resident, said.
Burman-Holtom is concerned about the traffic problems in Gainesville.
And she's not the only one.
In fact, several people at this Public Alternatives Meeting say they feel like they're trying to be "sold" on a new traffic pattern... one which they say would add to the congestion on an already congested street.
Burman-Holtom lives in a neighborhood near archer and 13th street.
Shands UF wants to make archer road, from 13th to 16th, a "campus road."
They're conducting a study now to see if this plan is feasible.
Those in favor say it would connect both sides of campus, and say the lower speed limits would make crossing Archer safer.
"It was a safety concern with all those pedestrians crossing the street at 45 miles per hour," Des Veilleux, Project Manager for the City of Gainesville, said.
But those against it say the lower speed limit, 20 miles per hour, would only contribute to traffic jams.
The intersection of Archer Road and 13th street is very busy. And the stretch of road between 13th Street to 16th Avenue is also heavily traveled. For those not wanting to drive through the campus road, they would be detoured to down 16th.
"One of our options is to make that two lanes to veer off on 16th to make it more appealing to people," Veilleux said.
The results of the study, and the preferred alternative, will be released to the public in April. Then a final decision will be made by next fall.
- New Traffic Controllers Installed Along Archer Road
- Cows On Archer Road
- FHP Investigating Deadly Accident on Archer Road
- Police Believe El Indio Robbery Connected to Three Attempted Robberies on Archer Road
- Median Closures Coming to Archer Road
- Woman Dies After Being Hit By A Car On Archer Road
- Three Injured in Archer Road Car Crash
- Plan for Traffic on the Road to Jax
- Gainesville City Commission Considers Cheaper Alternative, TSM
- Residents Remain Divided Over Cheaper Alternative to Bus Rapid Transit