UF Board of Trustees Meeting
From the start of the meeting UF President Bernie Machen addressed how hard the economy is hitting UF.
"You heard the economic forecast those of you that were in the resource meeting this morning," said Machen. "I believe that we are in for another year or two of financial difficulty."
He also emphasized in his President's Report that the university is hoping not to disrupt next semester's plans amid budget cuts.
"We're going to try everything we can to insure that our faculty and our staff and our students do not get interrupted in their programs they're trying to deliver next semester," said Machen.
Officials approved raising three student fees: the activity and service fee, health fee, and transportation fee. All on a per credit hour basis. The only fee unchanged was the athletic fee .
The next big topic was the approval of bonuses for President Machen: a total of $285,000. It passed with only one vote against it. President Machen then made a surprise announcement.
"To donate an amount equal to at least the $285,000 that we've been given to the university with the request that it be used to support the Florida Opportunities Scholars Program."
The Florida Opportunities Scholars Program provides financial assistance including full scholarships covering tuition and books. Its for students whose parents make less than $40,000 a year and don't hold bachelor's degrees.
- University of Florida Board of Trustees Meet: Cutting Budget Top On Agenda
- U.F. Board of Trustees Approve Budget Cuts
- UF Board of Trustees Approve Block Tuition
- Gov. Scott Appoints Three to UF Board of Trustees
- Controversy at Alachua County School Board Meeting
- Heightened Security at Local School Board Meeting
- CHOICES Advisory Board Holds Special Meeting
- Trustees Review Options for Leasing Munroe Regional Medical Center
- School Board Policy Changes Bring Conflict Among Board Members
- Florida Board of Education Passes 6 Year Achievement Plan