Gainesville Police presented its Comprehensive DUI and Underage Drinking Plan. Boutique, Gator City, Gotham Grill, Grog House, and Rue Bar were listed as having the highest number of underage violations. Eleven locations including Durty Nelly's, Lillian's, Shamrock, and University Club had no violations. GPD said that the bars with no violations serve as proof all establishments can and should follow suit.
Gainesville Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan discussed attempts to implement a per drink alcohol tax. The tax would help cover the cost of curbing underage drinking including additional police patrols. University of Florida President Bernie Machen said he supported the city's measure.
Regardless of the tactics, coalition members said the group's mission is taken very seriously.
"The fact that we have such a group that's working together to address this issue shows you how seriously it's being viewed by all of the parties," said Capt. Lonnie Scott of the Gainesville Police Department.
- Publix Truth Tour Brought Protestors to Publix
- Alachua County Sees Increase in Homeless Population
- Temporary Suspension On Homeless Program
- Homeless Assistance Program On Hold
- Mobile Slavery Museum Hopes To Change Labor Conditions For Farmworkers
- Protest At Wendy's In Favor Of Farmers
- Alachua County Volunteers Track Down the Homeless
- NTSB: DUI Limit Should Be Lowered to 0.05% Blood-Alcohol Level
- Dangerous Habit of Smoking Alcohol Gains Popularity
- High Springs Officials Consider Allowing Sunday Alcohol Sales