Betting for a Big Payday
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV 20 News.
If the Gators win, some will skip the celebration and go straight to work.
Wednesday, it's the calm before the storm at Silkmasters, licensed to produce three t-shirt designs if the Gators win the championship. The presses and the screens are all ready to go, with even the ink already out because Silkmasters uses a special type of ink made from plastic. It won't dry out even if it's left out for several years.
But as soon as the final score goes into the books, the three presses will go into overtime, printing out a 1000 shirts an hour--assuming Florida is victorious.
"It's nerve-wracking," says Silkmasters co-owner Shirley Bonamie. "It really is. You get started, the first half, you are okay. But after the half, you are pins and needles."
Particularly because a win could mean profits totalling more than $100,000. That could amount to 1/4th of Silkmaster's business for the year. A Gators loss means all these orders are ripped up and 30,000 shirts are shipped back to the manufacturer.
The University of Florida has collected $5,000 in advance royalties from Silkmasters and will collect 15% of Silkmaster's wholesale costs... a little more than a dollar a shirt. If the Gators lose, all bets are off and the money is returned.
- Parking Payday
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Annual Toy Drive
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Needs Donations for Kids
- Big Paddling? Big Success!
- Big Win for Florida Gators, Big Loss for Underage Drinkers at Tailgating Parties
- Big Step For Big Dock
- Big Crowd at the "Big House"
- Ocala man searching for help to pay big medical expenses
- Gainesville Police Department Makes Big Prostitute Bust
- Grace Market Place Looking for a Big Upgrade