Celebration on the Avenue
the Gator's Championship comes a Gator fan celebration on University
avenue into the wee hours of the morning.
the final score official at 24-14, the celebration began to spread to
University avenue. Gainesville police estimate the sea of people was
100 Gainseville police officers on duty and 100 more officers from
other agencies, some fans threw caution to the wind with their
celebrations, climbing poles and crowd surfing through obliging fans.
avoid another tragedy like the crash that killed Lt. Corey Dahlem
during a 2007 celebration, law enforcement officers placed dump
trucks along streets near University avenue to barricade the street
and keep vehicles out.
police officer Summer Hallett said safety was a concern. â€œOh it
definitelyâ€”it was definitely, definitely in our minds. I think
that what we did and the preparation that we made, I think they
worked out really well.â€ she said. â€œBecause I didn't hear any
calls come out saying there was a vehicle that broke the perimeter or
police did make five arrests during the championship aftermath
including one felony for battery on a police officer.
- Midnight Vote on Plans for NW 16th Avenue and NW 23rd Avenue
- Depot Avenue Re-opens
- SW 20th Avenue Annexation?
- Body Found Off of University Avenue
- Farah's on The Avenue Scheduled to Close this Month in Gainesville
- Mixed Reaction On Gainesville's NW 8th Avenue Reconstruction Project,
- Changes For Northwest 8th Avenue In Gainesville... From 4-Lane to 2-Lane
- Changes on the way for NW 16th Avenue in Gainesville
- Bicycle Pathway Along Southwest 8th Avenue Approved
- 34th Street and 39th Avenue Crash