Cracking Down on Skateboarding at UF
UPD was giving out a lot of traffic warnings Wednesday.
But not for what you might expect... They were targeting skateboarders.
"Our warning numbers were extremely high for a detail like this," Officer Stacy Ettell said.
Skateboard safety may not seem like a huge concern for UPD... but actually, officers say they see several serious skateboard accidents every year.
"We wanted to let the public know we're concerned about the safety of skateboarders," Ettell said.
So Wednesday... they were trying to prevent future accidents by giving out more than 30 warnings...
And they were on the lookout for skateboarders breaking the rules.
lf you're riding on the sidewalk, you're fine. But if you think about hopping in the bike lane, think again.
If skateboarders are caught riding more than once in the bicycle lane, they will get fined $52.
But some riders say that's unfair because there are too many pedestrians on the sidewalks around campus... and according to UPD, the rules are that skateboarders must yield to all pedestrians.
"Sometimes you have to merge onto there to avoid people on sidewalks. It's not like there's brakes on skateboards," Johnathan Byrnes said.
But officers say the want to keep the bike lanes clear of skateboards...because if the rider lost control, he'd get hit.
Next Wednesday, UPD officers will be targeting people who are under 21 and riding their scooters without helmets.
- President Obama Forms Task Force to Crack Down on College Sex Assaults
- Boater Safety Being Cracked Down On
- City Officials And UF Team Up To Crack Down On Front Lawn Parking
- GPD to Crack Down on Loud Car Stereos
- GPD Cracking Down on Jaywalkers
- Gainesville Police Cracking Down on Jaywalking
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Cracks Down on Career Criminals
- Police Cracking Down on Bike Thefts
- ATV Crack Down
- State Legislature Cracking Down on Sex Solicitors.