Levy County Abuse
"The first words out of his mouth were can I have something to eat and something to drink, I'm hungry," Donna Maller said.
So Donna Maller says she wasn't surprised when her next door neighbors were arrested for the neglect of an emaciated man, who deputies say was mentally handicapped and had been handcuffed off and on for a year.
"It's almost to the extent of seeing Vietnam veteran, a prisoner of war or a victims of the holocaust," Capt. Evan Sullivan of the Levy County Sheriff's Office said.
A tip from an anonymous caller sent deputies to this house of horrors in Bronson. Neighbors were unsurprised by what they saw.
"I saw the lights flashing all over my living room," Maller said.
Kenneth , Johnny, and Candace Sanderford were arrested.
Because this is a domestic case, the victim's name will not be released.
Maller says the abuse in that trailer was on-going.
"I know there have been instances where he has hurt them," Maller said.
Other neighbors walked down the road to see what was going on.
"They do all kinds of maintenance with the yards around here, so they seemed like really, really nice people," Martha White said.
The Sanderfords run a handy-man business.
Maller says she thinks Kenneth Sanderford was using the victim for work and not paying him.
Deputies say Candace Sanderford was cashing the victim's social security checks.
"Candance cashed the check and also charged a $200 fee for taking care of the victim. I wouldn't want anybody taking care of me that does something like that," Capt. Sullivan said.
- Child Abuse Cases In Levy County
- Suspect Arrested in Putnam County Animal Abuse Case
- Animal Abuse in Dixie County
- Alachua County Child Abuse Prevention Month
- Animal Abuse in Bradford County; Four Dogs left on Roadside
- Teamwork is Key to Help Abused Kids in Alachua County
- Marion County firefighter on leave after abuse claims
- Child Abuse Reported In Columbia County
- Marion County Sex Abuse Case
- Police Investigating Missing Girl's Body Found in Levy County