Man arrested after standoff in SW Gainesville
Early Sunday morning, Alachua County deputies responded to an armed assault call involving two juvenile victims, ages thirteen and fifteen, based on information given to TV20 by the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies found that the fifteen year old victim had a large gash to his head that he had received after being struck with a knife. The victims told deputies that they had been sleeping when they were awakened by the suspect, who punched the older victim several times before picking up a large folding knife and hitting him in the head with it. The suspect then told both victims he was going to go get his shotgun and kill them. Both victims fled the residence at this time and called 911.
Deputies formed a perimeter around the residence and evacuated several adjacent residents. The suspect ignored several attempts by deputies via loud speaker to come outside. Eventually, the suspect came out of the apartment and was taken into custody without any further incident. The knife and a shotgun were found inside the residence.
David Vanvoorhis, 40,Â was arrested and charged with aggravated battery, aggravated assault with a weapon and tampering with a witness. The tampering charge stems from a comment he made to one of the victims that he would need to "look over his shoulder" if he cooperated with police. Vanvoorhis is currently being held at the Alachua County Jail with no bond.
The fifteen year old victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment of his head wound.
- Man Arrested after Police Standoff
- Levy Man kills Wife, Arrested After Standoff With Deputies
- GPD arrests man after standoff
- Man Arrested in Standoff Says He Was Just 'Popping Off the Gun'
- Gainesville Man Arrested After Stabbing Father
- Gainesville police arrest man after horse chase
- Deputies: Man Arrested After Stealing Oxycontin Pills At Gainesville Pharmacy
- Gainesville man arrested after burglary
- Stand-Off Ends Peacefully After Mother Pleads With Son to Surrender
- 16-year-old dies after standoff with police