Planes Vs. Birds
The plane may have been taken down when it ran into birds. All 155 passangers survived but this type of crash can happen anywhere.
While its still too early to confirm why both engines of the US Airways Aircraft failed, the pilot blamed a double bird strike that triggered the emergency. This is not uncommon. The FAA reports 490 birds collided with planes in Florida from August 2007 to August 2008.
"Birds ahve an acute sense of hearing," says Jack Brown of Sante Fe's Teaching Zoo. He also says that certain species of birds cannot hear as well as others. For more on this story please see video:
- Birds Euthanized After Rooster Fight Busted
- Bird Native to Western US Spotted in Alachua County
- Bird Awareness
- Pre-Thanksgiving Shopping; Early Bird Gets the Deals
- Paynes Prairie Preserve Migrating Birds
- Salt Springs Worker Rescues Rare Bird
- Dead Horse and Mutilated Birds Found Near Train Tracks
- 6/26/12 Pet of the Day: Birds Escape the Rain
- University of Florida Grad Student Invents the "Bird Buggy"
- Plum Eating Bird Shot