Are You Ready for the Digital Transition?
It's been talked about for nearly a decade. For those who haven't made the switch to a digital TV, or gotten that much talked about converter box, "They're going to see static," says TV 20's general manager, Carolyn Barrett. She says there's really no switch for WCJB, as the station is already broadcasting analog and digital signals.
Just next week, TV 20 will stop using its analog signal.
Ms. Barrett says one issue regards public safety: "In the interest of safety we don't want to make a switch during hurricane season."
The digital switch will also free up the valuable analog broadcast spectrum for other things. Ms. Barrett says the analog space is earmarked for public safety, emergency, fire and law enforcement.
Not all stations in North Central Florida will power down their analog signals. WUFT-TV is one that will use the "old school" signal for a little longer. That makes U-F's PBS station and the FOX affiliate the only North Central Florida stations that will be available to "rabbit ears" - without a converter on February 18.
As it is today, The Gainesville CW, the CBS, NBC stations and "My Television" are already using digital-only transmissions.
On February 17, a minute before midnight, WCJB shut its analog signal and only be seen in digital broadcast.
Douglas Luton of hhgregg says he's seen heavier traffic of folks looking for solutions. Mr. Luton says, "They're either coming in for a digital converter or a TV with a digital tuner...one of those two."
Ms. Barrett says the station is ready, as are its cable and satellite systems.
- Bus Rapid Transit
- Gainesville City Commissioners Remain Unsure About Bus Rapid Transit System
- Residents Remain Divided Over Cheaper Alternative to Bus Rapid Transit
- Venus Transit
- Ministry Cuts The Ribbon On 40-Unit Transitional Housing Complex For Homeless
- State Rep. Calling for In-Depth Audit of Suwannee Valley Transit Authority
- Suwannee Valley Transit to lay off 6 employees
- EMSA Transition
- Transgender network helps students transition
- Countdown to Inauguration: Transition team member reflects