Darrell Gwynn Foundation Wheelchair Donation
Today was a special day for two former racers at Gatornationals. Darrell Gwynn won here twenty years ago before his accident. He's decided to pass on his racing legacy by giving back to those who are facing unexpected limitations.
On the fourth and last day of Gatornationals, fans are no different. They're just as excited as when the competition rolled into town on the first day. A natural fit for former drag racer Darrell Gwynn and one fan in particular, Mark Dowdy. a resident of Alabama, he came to enjoy the races, but he's also here for a bigger prize. He's a recipient of the Darrell Gwynn Foundation wheelchair donation. he gets a new set of wheels today.
Dowdy was in an motorcycle accident last year, he crashed head on with a truck. He woke up three days later in the hospital paralyzed. Dowdy says doctors told him he had a slim chance of ever walking again.
Darrell won his last race here at Gatornationals before he was paralyzed in a drag racing accident eightteen years ago. He says he wanted to use his tragedy to help others. And he has. He's given away a wheelchair for the last seven years through his foundation.
- Darrell Gwynn Foundation Donates Power Wheelchair
- Bernstein Celebrated at Gatornationals, Donates Memorabilia to Darrell Gwynn Foundation
- Man Rides Wheelchair Through Sunshine State
- Church Sends Wheelchairs to Haiti
- Earrings For A Wheelchair
- Local Residents Participate in Wheelchair Challenge
- Songs for Kids Foundation Visits Shands
- Local Young Woman Battling Cystic Fibrosis Is On A Quest To Raise Awareness
- Guide Dog Foundation Needs Help
- 2013 Noche de Gala Raises Millions