Gulf Search: Day Three
Â Â Â Â Â
Bruce Cooper, the father of Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, 26, said the Coast Guard told him privately that officials were losing hope because of the time that has passed and the possibility them men would be suffering from hypothermia.
Â Â Â Â Â But free-agent lineman Corey Smith's sister, Yolanda Newbill, said they were still hearing otherwise.Â "That is not what is being communicated to us," she said, adding that the family is still "definitely optimistic." Crews were also searching for 25-year-old William Bleakley, a former South Florida player also on the fishing trip Saturday when the boat capsized in rough seas.
Â Â Â Â Â The lone survivor so far, Nick Schuyler, was rescued Monday after a Coast Guard cutter crew spotted him from a half-mile away, clutching the boat's hull.Â Operations Coordinator Mike Briner first noticed something in the distance as crewman peered out the window.
Â Â Â Â Â "I wasn't sure what it was. I got binoculars, and sure enough it was a person sitting on top of a boat," Briner said.
Â Â Â Â Â That they were able to see him at all was a considerable feat given the rough conditions, said Patrick Peschka, lieutenant commander of the Coast Guard cutter that located him. Peschka said visibility in the prevailing weather was typically limited to 100 or 200 yards.
- Marion County Detectives Search for Three Wal-Mart Television Thieves
- Panhandle Shore Lines Rebuilding Three Years after Gulf Oil Spill
- Coast Guard searches for missing Florida family in Gulf
- Coast Guard Searches for 3 Missing Boaters in the Gulf
- Dan's Day Trips Part Three
- UFPD searching for two suspects involved in Gator game day burglary
- A Local Business Benefits from Gators and Florida Gulf Coast Pre-Game
- Boater on Fishing Trip Missing in Gulf of Mexico
- Filling Voids After Gulf Oil Spill
- Expert Presents Ideas on Restoring the Gulf Coast