St. Patrick's Day
"We usually eat irish dishes that i really don't know the names of," says fourth grader Julia Maltbie.
Julia Maltbie says she's 100-percent irish. Her favorite color is green-- but for her this day is more than that.
"its all about who i am, this is why i go to this school," she says.
Other fourth graders at Saint Patrick's school in Gainesville know an awful lot about today's holiday.
"St. Patrick's day is a day for us to celebrate here in the United States to remember all of our ancestors and all of our traditions that we get from Ireland," says fourth grade teacher Julie Ariet.
And to celebrate St. Patrick's day students set their uniforms aside to wear green t-shirts and jeans. They did it for one main reason.
"you'll get pinched by the bad leprechaun, " says fourth grader Chase Demichele.
But today wasn't just about avoiding a pinch, it was a free day to learn about Irish culture and have fun at the same time.
"we don't have homework tonight," says fourth grader Dominick Kreider.
Teachers say the kids have been working extra hard the past two weeks preparing for a special performance.
"it's a celebration and we're doing it in honor of st. patrick and this is our 50th year as a school," says Julia Maltbie.
Students plan to showcase their talent at a holiday variety show this evening.
"We sing songs and dance and there's poems and blessings from old Ireland," says Julie Ariet.
Green cookies, cupcakes, ice cream and candy were devoured by the happy fourth graders. Their green smiles said it all.
"We just celebrate by making some sweets and just being together and having fun," she says.
Because everyone at Saint Patrick's Interparish school is Irish on St. Patrick's day.
- St. Patrick's Thrift Shop not just a store for St. Patrick's Day
- AAA Tow To Go Program To Run Through St. Patrick's Day
- St. Patty's Day Safety
- Local Reaction to Pope's Resignation
- St. Francis Basketball Edged By St. John's Country Day
- Will St. Michael's Episcopal Church Be Torn Down to Build a Walgreen's?
- Possible Closure For The Aguilar Family
- Local Vigil For Connecticut Shooting Victims
- Marco Rubio speaks in North Central Florida
- St. Augustine's Spanish Quarter