Summer School Program Changed
Parents couldn't change the minds of Alachua County School Board members... a summer program will be changed, and fees will increase.
Board members and parents have been battling over changing the summertime 'Extended Day Enrichment Program" for weeks.
And members waited until they saw the rough draft before they made a final decision.
It was not what parents wanted to hear.
"We want to keep the program the same until they make reasonable changes and informed decisions," Valeria Harper, whose son attends the EDEP program, said.
If the program is going to be educational... parents say they're concerned that they are essentially paying for summer school, which was cut this year, and they say summer school should be free.
Board members say they expect about 1,200 kids to attend this year.
Families will be required to pay a $25 registration fee this year... in addition to the new tuition
- School Board Keeps Summer Program
- Local Summer Program Hopes To Keep Teens Out Of Trouble
- Summer Program Hopes To Keep Kids Out of Trouble
- Summer Programs Provide Necessary Revenues for UF Housing
- Fewer Kids enrolled in EDEP Summer Program
- Summer Meal Program Begins...
- Program Aims to Change Views on Homelessness
- Alachua County Jail Program Saving Money and Aiming To Change Lives
- Changes to County's CHOICES Program
- Summer School Blues