Summer School Program Changed
Parents couldn't change the minds of Alachua County School Board members... a summer program will be changed, and fees will increase.
Board members and parents have been battling over changing the summertime 'Extended Day Enrichment Program" for weeks.
And members waited until they saw the rough draft before they made a final decision.
It was not what parents wanted to hear.
"We want to keep the program the same until they make reasonable changes and informed decisions," Valeria Harper, whose son attends the EDEP program, said.
If the program is going to be educational... parents say they're concerned that they are essentially paying for summer school, which was cut this year, and they say summer school should be free.
Board members say they expect about 1,200 kids to attend this year.
Families will be required to pay a $25 registration fee this year... in addition to the new tuition
- School Board Keeps Summer Program
- High school students attend unique summer program
- Summer Journalism Institute Program
- Summer Heatwave Program Tries To Reach 1,000 Kids With The Help Of Crowdfunding
- Summer Meals Program Starts June 9th
- Summer Heatwave Hoping To Double Program Size
- Summer Heatwave Program Begins
- Local Summer Program Hopes To Keep Teens Out Of Trouble
- Summer Program Hopes To Keep Kids Out of Trouble
- Summer meals program offers free food and nutrition