21 Dead Horses Ruled Overdose
Florida officials say a mineral overdose is the probable cause of death for 21 polo horses that fell ill as they prepared for a championship match earlier this month.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said
Tuesday the animals likely overdosed on selenium, a common mineral that can be toxic in high doses.
The horses from the Venezuelan-owned Lechuza Caracas team began
collapsing as they were unloaded from trailers at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington. Some died at the scene, others hours later. All 21 horses were dead by the next day.
The toxicology results say the animals had "significantly
increased selenium levels."
Necropsies previously revealed bleeding in the horses' lungs.
- Dead Horse and Mutilated Birds Found Near Train Tracks
- Deadly Disease Affects Horses and Humans
- Heroin Overdose: Reaction to 'Glee' Star Cory Monteith's Death
- UF Health Physicians Warn of Dangers of Tylenol Overdose
- Horses Helping Horses event raises money for horses in need
- Caretaker Overdoses Patient, Charged with Murder
- From Horse Jockey to Horse Doctor
- Zimmerman Trial: Judge Rules on Audio Experts
- Zimmerman Trial: Judge Ruling on Other Zimmerman Phone Calls
- Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Hobby Lobby