And they think that the cases are related. All three damaged cars were found in the same area.
All three vehicles were found in the area of Southwest 5th Street in Chiefland. Owners of the cars say they just don't know why anyone would come into their neighborhood and light a car on fire. Eddie Williams and Paul Yatsko are neighbors. Now they'll have something more in common then just sharing the same street name.
"When the alarm went off in the car I immediately jumped out of the bed and looked out my window. The car was on fire, completely engulfed in fire," says Williams.
The car flames also put Eddie Williams's house in danger. The story was no different for Paul. "The side of the vehicle was crisp," says Yatsko. Chiefland Police say that the arsonist put a rag in the gasoline tanks in the Toyota and two SUVs. He then lit the rag on fire.
"At this age in my life this happens, its shocking," added Yatsko.
Authorities are looking for possible leads. The neighbors could not give a description of the arsonist because it happened so early.
"I don't know if its just random or if they selected these people because they are mad at them or something. Those are avenues that we've got to investigate in," says Chief Douglas. Both Chiefland Police and the state Fire Marshal arrived on scene to collect evidence. Chief Douglas says this type of crime is uncommon to the area. The investigator from the State Fire Marhsal's Office working this case was unavailable for comment. Two of the vehicles were damaged, and one was destroyed.
For more on this story please see video:
- 2 hurt in Inglis arson investigation
- Failed Arson Attempt in Waldo Investigated
- Putnam County fires investigated as arson
- Levy Arson Arrests
- Arson Suspect Tried to Become a Volunteer Firefighter, Records Show
- Marion County Man Believed to be Responsible for String of Arsons Arrested
- Mobile Home Fires Confirmed As Arson
- Possible Arson? A Family Is Upset After Their Car Goes Up In Flames Overnight
- Authorities: Southwest Villas explosion was arson