Micanopy Resident Honored by Governor
Governor Charlie Crist today recognized Barbara Mollison of Micanopy as this week’s Point of Light in honor of Environmental Awareness Month.
“For more than 11 years, Barbara Mollison has dedicated her time and effort to helping visitors enjoy Florida’s beautiful state parks,” said Governor Crist. “As a volunteer at the Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, she has contributed more than 5,500 hours of volunteer service.”
Barbara helps manage the visitor center at Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park by selecting and ordering books for the adult and children’s sections to provide interesting and factual information about the unique environmental features of Paynes Prairie. She also volunteers in the development of ranger-guided programs at Paynes Prairies and local schools, providing services such as walking tours for children and adult groups, interpretive programs and environment-based educational activities.
“Barbara has served in every capacity as requested and needed at the park to ensure visitors have a pleasant and educationally sound experience in the park,” said David Jowers, manager of Paynes Prarie Preserve State Park. “As a result of Barbara’s volunteer activities, thousands of park visitors have developed a deeper connection to and appreciation for the unique environmental and cultural features of Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park.”
- Doc Hollywood Days in Micanopy
- Missing Micanopy Woman Prompts Silver Alert
- Missing Monkey from Marion County Settles in Micanopy
- Micanopy Celebrates Doc Hollywood Days
- Battle of Micanopy Commemorates 176th Anniversary with Living History
- Micanopy Historical Society Museum
- Micanopy's Small Town Charm Attracts Thousands this Weekend
- Micanopy Man Dies In Early Morning Crash
- Micanopy's 39th Fall Festival
- Governor’s Signature Needed to Extend Unemployment