"10,000 Homes Initiative" Could Upgrade Homes in Alachua County
Alachua County is getting ready to distribute federal stimulus dollars ... and officials say there are many projects that could use the money, including one project that would "weather-ize" thousands of homes a year in Alachua County. It could cut costs and save energy.
It's the "10,000 homes initiative" and county officials say it would provide funds for homeowners to lower their homes energy use.... while helping the environment.
The project could include anything from insulating homes to repairing old windows, and officials say they hope to upgrade 10,000 homes over the next several years.
"That money that just escapes out from under the door or through the windows when you're heating or cooling your home, that's wasted money," Randall Reid, Alachua County Manager, said.
Randall Reid says the leaders of this project will be partnering with the City of Gainesville and community groups to help implement it.
He says they hope to upgrade 2,000 homes a year-- until they reach at least 10,000.
- Local College Offers $10,000 Bachelor's Degree
- Counselor hits juvenile, released on $10,000 bond
- Alachua County Discusses Charter Amendment Initiatives
- Alachua's "Project Legacy" Given $500,000
- $179,000 Alachua County Jail Study Moves Forward
- Alachua County Commissioners Cut $470,000 from Proposed ASO Budget
- Alachua County Could See Lower Taxes
- Home Upgrade Money
- The Florida Highway Patrol Increases Patrols For "Staying Alive On I-75" Initiative
- CRA Presents Initial Plans for Former Kennedy Homes Property