Deadly Diving In Columbia County
A 54-year-old Columbia County resident is dead after diving off a bridge into shallow water.
Authorities say the victim, Allen J. Petho, was swimming with friends at the Itchetucknee River at the Columbia County, Suwannee County line.
Friends say around 2 p.m., the victim dove off the Highway 27 bridge into the river. The victim died when he hit the river bottom.
Authorities are reminding people to never dive into water with an unknown depth. Not only is the depth of water important, but there could be rocks or other things in water that may not be visible from the surface.
- Homeless Rates Up in Alachua, Columbia County
- Woman Dies on Fla. Keys Dive Trip
- North Central Florida Woman Dives in Caves Around the World
- Man Dies Diving in Ocala National Forrest
- Columbia County Sheriff's Position Up For Grabs
- Columbia County Murder Investigation
- Columbia County emergency officials check flood progress
- Press Conference for Columbia County Fires
- Columbia County Schools Superintendent Race
- Animal Cruelty in Columbia County