Deadly Diving In Columbia County
A 54-year-old Columbia County resident is dead after diving off a bridge into shallow water.
Authorities say the victim, Allen J. Petho, was swimming with friends at the Itchetucknee River at the Columbia County, Suwannee County line.
Friends say around 2 p.m., the victim dove off the Highway 27 bridge into the river. The victim died when he hit the river bottom.
Authorities are reminding people to never dive into water with an unknown depth. Not only is the depth of water important, but there could be rocks or other things in water that may not be visible from the surface.
- Columbia County Inmates Shot by Gunman
- Homeless Rates Up in Alachua, Columbia County
- Woman Dies on Fla. Keys Dive Trip
- Firefighters Still Fighting Wildfire In Columbia County
- Columbia County Hospital Plan
- Child Abuse Reported In Columbia County
- Columbia County Teacher Suspended for Inappropriate Behavior
- Columbia County Sheriff Doing Just Fine, Despite Rumors
- Columbia County man arrested in connection to funeral home burglary
- Columbia County Deputy Forced to Shoot Attacking Dog