Deadly Diving In Columbia County
A 54-year-old Columbia County resident is dead after diving off a bridge into shallow water.
Authorities say the victim, Allen J. Petho, was swimming with friends at the Itchetucknee River at the Columbia County, Suwannee County line.
Friends say around 2 p.m., the victim dove off the Highway 27 bridge into the river. The victim died when he hit the river bottom.
Authorities are reminding people to never dive into water with an unknown depth. Not only is the depth of water important, but there could be rocks or other things in water that may not be visible from the surface.
- Two Dead at Santa Fe Bar
- Deadly car crash in Columbia County
- Columbia County car crash turns deadly
- Fourth of July Celebrations in Lake City
- Violent Criminal Organization In Columbia County Arrested
- Columbia County Inmates Shot by Gunman
- Columbia HS student suspended for flying flag
- Missing man found dead
- Sports Overtime: High School Football Roundup
- Sports Overtime: High School Football Roundup- Week Three