FHP Trooper Struck, Injured on I-75
A late-morning crash left a state trooper seriously injured and traffic bumper-to-bumper for hours on I-75.
The trooper was trying to help the victims of another accident.
Investigators say they are not quite sure if the rain played a part in the crash earlier today, but they're not ruling it out.
Around 11:20 a.m., investigators say troopers were heading to another crash on I-75 at mile marker 387.
A trooper requested backup to help direct traffic. The additional trooper, Richard J. Ornowski, who responded to that assistance call, was involved in a crash.
Investigators say while Ornowski was heading to the other crash, he hit the center guard rail, veered back into traffic and hit a semi, going underneath.
The impact sent Ornowski to Shands at UF with serious injuries.
Traffic was stop and go for hours, but DOT and other agencies worked quickly to clean up the mess.
Ornowski is still in serious condition at Shands, and the crash is under investigation. There is no word if anyone will be cited.
- Several Children Injured In I-75 Crash Involving FHP Trooper
- FHP trooper hurt in crash while escorting body of fellow trooper
- Funeral Services For FHP Trooper Chelsea Richard Being Held Thursday
- FHP Trooper Remembered By Family At Funeral
- Funeral Services For Fallen FHP Trooper
- Man who shot at FHP trooper now dead
- FHP Search For Man Who Shot At State Troopers
- I-75 Trooper Accident Update
- FHP: Bicyclist Critically Injured in Late Night Hit and Run
- Five Injured After SUV Overturns On I-75 In Alachua County