Store Burns in Bronson
By Robert Bradfield
An early Monday morning fire at a Bronson convenient store has left a family without their business.
Video shows Levy County Sheriffs Captain Evan Sullivan outside a burning Lees Grocery Store in Bronson. The store had been open an hour and a half before the fire started and it took just minutes to destroy Moon Rashid's business, which he had bought in January.
"My brother opened at 6 o'clock, he found out at 7:26 that happened," recalls Rashid. Bronson's fire department had a tough time putting out the blaze which appeared to start from an electrical outlet even though no official cause has been determined. "It was gaining into the main store where there were bars and there was some issues trying to get in but at that time, it was fully engulfed. I don't think they could have saved the building," says Sullivan who responded within minutes of the call. About all that remains is a stack of beer and soda bottles. The rest, charred wood and even an almost unrecognizable cash register.
Rashid remembers, "When I found out, the phone call came to me and my brother told me the store on fire, I just felt so bad." Fire officials were concerned diesel gas tanks located on the property might have fueled the fire, but it was contained to just the building. Smoke detectors were working at the time but Sullivan says it's always important to change their batteries. Rashid says he lost between 80 and $90,000 dollars worth of merchandise but he says despite all his losses, he plans to re-build. "We want to tell customers we will reopen and we're going to rebuild this place." But first, Rashid has the tough task of deciding where to begin in picking up the pieces.
- Local Wildfires Keep Burn Ban in Effect: Clay County Blaze Now Burning
- Trespassing at "The Power Lines" in Bronson
- Three Men Arrested for Allegedly Cooking Meth Inside a Bronson Home
- Bronson Church Service Interrupted
- Bronson Man Arrested for Grand Theft, Stole Son's Car
- Bronson Man Arrested on Drug Charges
- Blessing Bags From Bronson
- Job Agency Moves From Bronson to Chiefland
- Tragedy in Bronson: 2yr old Accidentally Shot by 11 yr old Brother
- Bronson Business Helping Customers Save Money