Wanted Alabama Suspect Located in Levy County, Attacks Police Officer
A man wanted in connection with an armed bank robbery in Alabama was arrested early this morning near Yankee Town in Levy County.
Chad Jeter, 30, went on the run Tuesday after robbing a bank in Atmore, Alabama.
Thursday morning, he was found in Levy County and before he was arrested, police say he put up a fight.
Blurry images taken from the First National Bank and Trust in Atmore, Ala., show what appears to be Jeter robbing the bank.
Police say after the robbery, Jeter fled to Florida, making it to Levy County.
As Sgt. Timothy Swiggett questioned Jeter, police say Jeter attacked Swiggett with a chinese throwing star, injuring him in the neck.
Lt. Scott Finnen with the Levy County Sheriff's Office says, "We are currently further studying on the case, so processing evidence retrieved from the scene, and getting the correct documentation to go for that to determine whether other charges are going to proceed later."
A warrant is being sought to search his car for more evidence, which Finnen says may lead to more charges.
Jeter now sits in the Levy County Jail in confinement, facing a charge of attempted murder on a law enforcement officer and pending charges for an armed robbery in Alabama; charges that may keep him behind bars for years.
The sheriffs office is also looking into threats made by Jeter to several military bases.
Finnen says, "We have made contact with military police units and trying, they've been contacted with me to try to further to see what level of interest he had in the service but that has yet to be determined on one level."
The sheriff's office can not confirm if Jeter was or is in the military. Jeter will remain in the Levy County Jail until the investigation is complete. Lt. Finnen says Sgt. Swiggett is doing fine and is recovering at home.
- Town of Inglis to Dissolve Local Police Department, Begins Neogtiating with Levy County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Tax Collector's Office Opens Third Location
- 18-Year-Old Suspect is Tased, Arrested After Attacking Police
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Promotes Gun Safety, Raises Money
- More Details Emerge In Levy County Sheriff's Office Investigation
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Cracks Down on Career Criminals
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Lieutenant Arrested for Armed Sexual Battery
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Justifies Spending
- Levy County Sheriff's Office On Board With New Age Technology