Fox Bites Lake City Resident
A fox bit a Lake City resident early Wednesday on the Lake City Community College campus.
Richard McGlew, 42, was sitting on a bench on campus near Building 9 when the fox came up behind him and grabbed his pant leg, according to Capt. Roy Brown, area supervisor at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s (FWC) Lake City office.
“He attempted to dislodge the fox and grabbed its tail," Brown said. "The fox released the man’s pant leg and bit his hand. The fox wouldn’t let go."
Another student came to McGlew’s aid and attempted to help dislodge the fox. The student got McGlew’s pocketknife and cut the fox’s throat. The animal released McGlew and ran into the bushes.
“Columbia County Sheriff’s Deputy Brian Rix was able to track the fox about 100 yards into the brush where he found the fox’s body. The sheriff’s office called the FWC, and I went out to retrieve the fox,” Brown said.
Brown took the fox to the Lake City Animal Shelter where it will be held until the county health department can pick it up for testing.
“The animal will be tested for rabies,” Brown said.
The FWC and county health department officials are looking for the student who came to McGlew’s rescue.
“We need to find out who the Good Samaritan was who helped. We don’t know if he was bitten or scratched. If the fox tests positive for rabies, the man who assisted Mr. McGlew will also need treatment,” Brown said.
Anyone with information about the student may call the FWC’s Lake City office at 386-758-0525 and ask for Capt. Roy Brown or Karen Parker.
- Lake City Residents Waiting for Relief After Debby
- Lake City Residents Cleanup Mess Left Behind by Severe Storms
- Waterlogged Residents Near Lake City Look for Answers
- NAACP Calls for the Resignation of Lake City Police Chief and City Manager
- Lake City Police Chief and City Manager Aren't Going Anywhere
- Fox and Time Warner Extend Contract Briefly
- New Robo Call Scam Targets Fox News Viewers
- Health Department Searching for Man Exposed to Rabid Fox
- Suspect in Death of Lake City Man is at Large
- Lake City Pastor Speaks Out About His Church's Nativity Scene