Homicide Investigation in Keystone Area
Detectives from the Clay County Sheriff’s Office Robbery-Homicide Unit are investigating a tip that a homicide occurred 28 years ago at a location in Keystone Heights.
According to the tip, a man was killed and buried on a property in the 4700 block of Montana Trail in Keystone Heights.
According to CCSO records, no one ever reported the alleged victim missing or reported his death to any officials. The sheriff's office is not at liberty to divulge at this time the names of any of the persons involved.
The Clay County Sheriff’s Office is working closely with the State Attorney's Office to maintain the integrity of this investigation, according to the press release.
Recently, a person came forward with information about a death, and an investigation began that includes a search of the Montana Trail property. No one involved with the original incident remains in that area. The mobile home on the site of the suspected incident has been moved and replaced multiple times in the past 28 years, and the current residents are not in any way related to the investigation.
This week, the attempt to locate a body that has been buried for 28 years involved specialized equipment. From bulldozers to hand-held shovels, CCSO personnel are working to excavate portions of the 10-acre property to determine if someone is buried there. In addition, the FBI spent two days this week at the site assisting CCSO personnel, according to the release.
Their involvement also included the use of a highly-trained cadaver dog.
At this time, detectives have not uncovered any physical evidence, and they continue their work at the site.
(Attached photos taken late yesterday, June 4, at the site on Montana Trail.)
- Pats Release Hernandez in Homicide Investigation
- Investigators ID Ocklawaha Homicide Victim, as Deputies Search for His Killer
- Keystone, Bradford County Softball Advances, Other Area Teams Fall
- Keystone Veteran Dies in Skydiving Accident
- Homicide at Southern Pine Apartments
- 6 Dogs Killed By Owner In Keystone Heights
- Keystone Heights Airport Offers a Chance to Fly Restored WWII Aircraft
- Keystone Heights Woman Recovers From H1N1 Virus
- Vandalism in Keystone Heights Cemetery
- Keystone Heights Man Fatally Shot by ASO Deputies