Nelson Murder Trial
It was supposed to be a fun weekend for four friends, but that weekend turned tragic after one of the men was murdered in a Gainesville parking garage. Now prosecutors are looking to put that accused killer behind bars for good.
The state is trying to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Okpara Nelson murdered Andrew Arosemena on the early morning of November 25th, 2007, hours after the UF/FSU game. Andrew, along with his brother Kris, Scott and another friend were trying to leave the parking garage off SW 2nd street, when two men were holding up traffic. Andrew yelled for the two men to move and that's when Nelson walked up to the car and shot Andrew dead.
Spencer Mann, from the state's attorney office says,"We believe we have enough evidence, witness testimony that provides he was the aggressor that night in the situation, he was the shooter we believe in this case".
The defense says Antwan Maye who was with Nelson the night of the shooting, turned the story around and named Nelson as the shooter. Maye is already serving time and is expected to testify in this case.
- Update: Second Day of Okpara Nelson Trial
- First Day Of Trial in Murder of UF Student Michelle Herndon
- Jury Selection Begins on Murder Trial of Michelle Herndon
- On Third Day of O'Quinn Murder Trial: Defendant's Father Comes Near Perjury
- Murder Trial Continues
- John Kalisz's Murder Trial Could Be Delayed
- John Kalisz Will Stand Trial For The Murder Of Captain Chad Reed
- 2003 Hawthorne Murder Trial Begins...
- Still No Rest for the Prosecution or the Defense in the Hawthorne Murder Trial...
- Verdict in Hawthorne Murder Trial Could Be Just A Day Away...