Nelson Murder Trial
It was supposed to be a fun weekend for four friends, but that weekend turned tragic after one of the men was murdered in a Gainesville parking garage. Now prosecutors are looking to put that accused killer behind bars for good.
The state is trying to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Okpara Nelson murdered Andrew Arosemena on the early morning of November 25th, 2007, hours after the UF/FSU game. Andrew, along with his brother Kris, Scott and another friend were trying to leave the parking garage off SW 2nd street, when two men were holding up traffic. Andrew yelled for the two men to move and that's when Nelson walked up to the car and shot Andrew dead.
Spencer Mann, from the state's attorney office says,"We believe we have enough evidence, witness testimony that provides he was the aggressor that night in the situation, he was the shooter we believe in this case".
The defense says Antwan Maye who was with Nelson the night of the shooting, turned the story around and named Nelson as the shooter. Maye is already serving time and is expected to testify in this case.
- Update: Second Day of Okpara Nelson Trial
- 'Hiccup Girl' on Trial on Murder Charge in Florida
- Zimmerman Trial Day 7: State Tries to Prove Key Elements of Second Degree Murder Charge
- Attempted Murder Trial Pushed Back, Defense Not Ready
- On Third Day of O'Quinn Murder Trial: Defendant's Father Comes Near Perjury
- John Kalisz Will Stand Trial For The Murder Of Captain Chad Reed
- A Woman's Murder Trial in Ocala
- Man found Not Guilty in Ocala Murder Trial
- Suspects Plea "Not Guilty" in Seath Jackson Murder Trial
- Charlie Ely's Murder Trial will Stay in Marion County