New Principals Appointed at Local Elementary and Middle Schools
Superintendent of Schools Jim Yancey announces the following changes regarding new principals at five local elementary and middle schools.
These changes take effect July 1, according to the Marion County Public Schools release.
Anthony Elementary - Jerome Brown transfers here from North Marion Middle. Brown joined the school district in 1976 as a teacher at Madison Street Primary School. His 33-year career with the district includes working at Howard Elementary, Howard Academy, East Marion and Reddick-Collier Elementary schools. In 1994, he became assistant principal at Dr. N.H. Jones Elementary and was appointed as principal of Dunnellon Elementary in 2002. He transferred to his current principal position in 2004. Brown's Bachelor's degree in elementary education comes from the University of North Florida, and his Master's in administration and supervision is from Nova University. He replaces Cassandra Boston, who is transferring to Evergreen Elementary.
Maplewood Elementary - Barbara Dobbins transfers here as principal from her current assistant principal position at Lake Weir High. She began her career with the district in 1999 as a physical education teacher at Ft. McCoy School. She moved to Osceola Middle in 2003 as assistant principal and then transferred to her current position in 2007. Her Bachelor's degree in exercise and sports science is from the University of Florida while her Master's in education leadership is from St. Leo University. She replaces Gary Smallridge, who is moving to Ward-Highlands Elementary.
North Marion Middle - John Williams is the newest principal in Marion County from outside the district. Currently, he's the principal at Fort Pierce Central High School in St. Lucie County, Florida. He holds a Bachelor's in marketing and Master's and Specialist degrees in school psychology from the University of Florida. He has also conducted post-graduate studies at the University of South Florida. He has been with the St. Lucie County School District for the past 23 years. He replaces Jerome Brown, who's moving to Anthony Elementary.
South Ocala Elementary - Laura Burgess transfers here as principal from Dunnellon Elementary. She started with the district in 2002 as a fourth-grade teacher at Oakcrest Elementary and then moved in 2005 to her current position as assistant principal at Dunnellon Elementary. Her Bachelor's in English comes from Florida Atlantic University while her Master's in educational leadership is from Nova Southeastern University. She replaces Pam Miller, who is leaving district employment.
Stanton-Weirsdale Elementary - Brent Carson moves here as the new principal. His work with Marion County Public Schools began in 1993 when he was hired as a teacher at Romeo Elementary. He also taught at Greenway and West Port Middle, where he became assistant principal in 2004. Three years later, he transferred to his current position as assistant principal at Emerald Shores Elementary. His Bachelor's in physical education is from the University of South Florida while his Master's in educational leadership comes from St. Leo University. He replaces Don Zaharias, who is retiring from the district.
These latest announcements bring the number of new principal appointments to 11 throughout the district for the 2009-2010 school year including:
- Cassandra Boston as principal of Evergreen Elementary from Anthony Elementary
- Anna DeWese as principal of Fessenden Elementary from interim principal
- Lori Manresa as principal of Hillcrest School from interim principal
- Penny McKee as principal of Ocala Springs Elementary from Eighth Street Elementary
- John McCollum as principal of Osceola Middle / Eighth Street Elementary
- Gary Smallridge as principal of Ward-Highlands Elementary from Maplewood Elementary
- Four Alachua County Schools Get New Principals
- Crist To Appoint New Superintendent For Columbia County Schools
- Howard Bishop Middle School's New Tech Program
- State grants $15M for new Middle-High School
- Gov. Scott Appoints 5 New Members To State Board Over Universities
- New Alachua County Commissioner Appointed
- School Board Appointment
- School Year Resumes With Changes For Starke Elementary School
- Westwood Middle School Boy Teaches Origami
- Third Arrest at Kanapaha Middle School