Speeder flees, crashes during morning traffic
A man fleeing from police caused a crash this morning sending one woman to the hospital.
Gainesville police say they noticed a man in a blue truck speeding down University Avenue.
An officer says he tried to stop the driver but he wouldn't stop.
Officers eventually ended the chase, due to safety concerns.
Police say the driver continued speeding until he hit a woman in a car at the intersection of 34th Street and 39th Avenue.
With many schools starting around the time of the incident, Gainesville Police officers were happy no one was hurt.
"We're just fortunate today that the individual was actually going the speed limit in the school zone and not endanger any more lives than he did today," GPD Sgt. Joe Raulerson said.
The driver was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons.
The woman who was driving the car was taken to Shands Trauma Center for internal and head injuries.
- Driver, Two Passengers Attempt To Flee During Routine Traffic Stop
- GPD: Hit and Run Driver Flees To Avoid Traffic Ticket
- Man Charged With Crashing Into Deputy's Car, Fleeing
- FHP Seizes 89 Pounds of Marijuana During Traffic Stop
- UPD Officer Fired For Misconduct During Traffic Stop
- Shots Fired During a Routine Traffic Stop in Jacksonville
- Speeders Beware
- FHP Uses Airplanes To Catch Speeders
- 2 Murder Suspects, Teen Killed During Police Crash
- Suspect Arrested After Fleeing From Police