Two UF Professors on Oprah's Summer Reading List
Jill Cement and Mary Robison have a few things in common.
Both are professors at the University of Florida. They teach in the creative writing program and are accomplished authors.
And they can add one more thing to that list, all thanks to Oprah.
Both women say they were surprised to find their names in the July issue of "O" magazine. But the reason was that both of their books made the 2009 Summer Reading List, which is a collection of 25 select books.
Ciment said she was even more excited to see her book, "Heroic Measures," make the list with Robison's "One D.O.A., One on the Way".
Both women said being on the list will hopefully get their books into the hands of new readers among Oprah's fan base. But, more importantly, they hope it gets people to take the time to turn pages from any book.
So whether you're at a bank or at the beach this summer, these authors hope you take a book with you.
Robison's book, "One D.O.A., One on the Way," just came out in March. Ciment's "Heroic Measures" is due out on June 30.
- Two Local Schools Make Top 100 List
- Florida's State-Wide Budget Cuts Hit Home for UF Professors
- Gainesville One of Nation's Most Well-Read Cities
- Help Oprah Give Big to North Central Florida
- Governor Crist on McCain's List For The Vice Presidential Slot
- Six Neighboring High Schools Rank in Newsweek's Top 1500 Public High School List
- Gainesville Makes Top 20 List of America's Most Romantic Cities
- Bob's River Place Waits For "To-Do List"
- Benefit for Summer Keller's Children
- UF's Summer Band Camp Canceled After Money Disagreement