Gainesville Area Receives Funding, Housing Vouchers to Help Homeless Veterans
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development announced Wednesday the distribution of more than 10,000 vouchers to local public housing authorities across the country to provide permanent supportive housing for homeless veterans.
Support services and programs in the Gainesville area received 210 vouchers and more than $1,410,000 in funding to help support homeless veterans, according to the HUD Web site.
HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan announced the $75 million in funding last month with Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric K. Shinseki.
"These vouchers offer veterans a permanent home and critically needed supportive services to those who have served our nation," Donovan said.
HUD's Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program (HUD-VASH) will provide local public housing agencies with 10,290 rental assistance vouchers specifically targeted to assist homeless veterans in their area, according to the HUD news release.
Public housing authorities that administer HUD's Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV) work closely with Veteran Affairs Medical Centers to manage the program.
In addition to the rental assistance, VA Medical Centers provide supportive services and case management to eligible homeless veterans.
HUD allocates the housing vouchers to local public housing agencies across the country that are specifically targeted to homeless veterans based on a variety of factors, including the number of reported homeless veterans and the proximity of a local VA Medical Center with the capacity to provide case management.
- After School Program Loses Funding, Needs Help
- North Central Florida Receiving Federal Funding to Prevent Homelessness
- VA Pulls Funding for Homeless Veteran Facility, Cites "Minimal Progress"
- $5.5 Million Towards Housing Homeless Veterans
- More Options to House Homeless Veterans in Alachua County
- Plan to House Homeless Veterans in Hotel Brings Oppostition
- Vetspace Helping Homeless Veterans
- Homeless Housing Makes Headway in Gainesville
- Veteran Brian Donarski Helps Gainesville Fisher House, Inspires Others
- Parade of Homes Showcase Helps Stimulate Gainesville's Housing Market