Marion County Deputy Arrested for Soliciting Prostitution
The Marion County Sheriff's Office received word Wednesday afternoon that one of its deputies was arrested by the Orange County Sheriff's Office for soliciting prostitution.
Deputy Darius Harper, 38, was observed in the area of 23rd Street and South Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando, exchanging money with a known female prostitute for sexual acts, according to the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Harper came to work for the sheriff's office in March of 2000 and was currently on military leave while serving active duty with the U.S. National Guard. He was called into active service in December of 2008 and was ordered to serve through Sept. 30 of this year.
Harper was taken to the Orange County Jail and charged with soliciting prostitution, according to the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
"This is an unfortunate incident that will be fully investigated to determine his future with the sheriff's office," said Tom Wilder, MCSO chief of staff. "We have launched an internal investigation and will treat the incident as if Deputy Harper was still an active member of the sheriff's office, though he is currently on military leave until Sept. 30, 2009 with the National Guard."
- Marion County Deputy Arrested
- Marion County Sheriff's Deputies arrest man involved in armed robberies
- Former MCSO deputy arrested again
- Deputies: string of burglaries span four counties
- 44 Arrested In Major Prostitution Sting
- Deputies Forced to Stop Using Stun Guns
- Former Marion County deputy killed in traffic crash
- Inmate Found Dead in Jail Hours After Arrest
- Deputies Looking for Missing Woman in Marion County
- Judge Rules MCSO Deputies Used Excessive Force on Joshua Salvato, Grants Wrongful Death Award