Mayor of Archer Resigns
The city of Archer has lost yet another city leader.
It's minus one commissioner... without a permanent city manager... and now, the city doesn't have a mayor.
Leeann Slaughter resigned and then walked out of Monday night's commission meeting.
The city was already looking for a new city manager and one new commissioner - both positions were vacated within the last week - now, they'll be looking for a new mayor too.
Commissioners say the city can bounce back... but they'll have to do it without slaughter, who says her life was dedicated to the city.
"It saddens me greatly that I've not been able to help our community come into a brighter spot in the future with the different things I think would be beneficial to our community," Leeann Slaughter said.
After Slaughter's departure, vice mayor Blanch Parker was technically next in line to run the meeting.
She however passed the gavel to commissioner Laurie Costello who assumed control.
Ruth Henderson, the interim city manager, says the city will have special election in the next 45 days.
Henderson says electing two commissioners is a top priority... All commissioner seats need to be filled before a new mayor can be appointed.
- Archer Residents Voice their Concerns on the Archer Braid Trail
- City Commissioner Walks Through Archer Braid Trail
- Archer City Commission
- Changes in the City of Archer
- Archer Girl, Mom Killed in Plane Crash
- Woman Dies After Being Hit By A Car On Archer Road
- Winter Fun at Archer Elementary School
- 30 Year Mother's Day Festival Cancelled in Archer
- Archer I-75 Exit To Close On Monday
- DNA Evidence Leads to Arrest of Archer Man