Update on Toddler Killed by Pet Snake
A two year old child from our area was killed by a python... in her bedroom.
TV 20 has the anguished call to 911 by the man who discovered the tragedy.... and the latest information on the case.
We're learning that the family did not have a permit for a snake that large. It was a Burmese python eight and a half feet long.
When Charles Darnell found his pet snake on top of his girlfriend's two-year-old daughter around 9 a.m., he stabbed the albino python and called the Sumter County Sheriff's Office.
But it was too late for Shaiunna Hare.
She lived in oxford with her mother, Jaren Hare, and her boyfriend Darnell.
Officials say the snake was wrapped around the toddler.. and she had bites marks on her forehead.
Not having a permit for the snake is a second degree misdemeanor.
Darnell has not been charged.
Officials say the snake is still alive and will be rehabilitated... as long as it's injuries are not too severe.
- Coroner Confirms Snake Killed Toddler
- Florida Python Hunt Opens with 11 Snakes Killed
- Teen Pleads Guilty to Sexually Assaulting and Killing Jacksonville Toddler
- Neighbors Report Rise in Venomous Snake Sightings
- Deputy Still Rattled by Snake
- Big Snake Ban
- Fla. Toddler Injured After Falling from ATV
- Divers Find Body of Toddler in River
- Toddler Fatally Struck by Out-of-control Truck
- Toddler found outside, alone at Daycare