Cleaning for Cancer
Fighting cancer can be difficult, but living with it can be tougher. A lot of life's chores get forgotten in the face of the bigger issue of fighting a deadly disease.
"Cleaning for a Reason" is a nonprofit foundation that provides professional cleaning services to women undergoing treatment for cancer.
"If you had seen this house a couple of weeks ago, you wouldn't have believed it," says Mildred Fontanez.
Fontanez of Ocala has breast cancer. She discovered it last year. She says living day to day with the disease is an uphill battle.
"When I was on chemo, it was very difficult. I often wasn't able to eat because I wasn't able to get out of the bed."
Cleaning for a Reason offers their services to women with cancer living in Gainesville and Ocala. The best part, it doesn't cost the women a dime. The bad part--in Ocala, they only have one business partner willing to provide their services. So, there is a wait list of cancer patients.
"I wish more people knew about this foundation. There is help, but they have to know where to look," says Gladys Merchadie.
Mercahdie and her husband Harry operate Gladys' Cleaning Service. Once a month for four months they'll clean Fontanez's home from top to bottom.
"They vacuum, they dusted. They went in and cleaned the kitchen completely. I was like this is wonderful," says Fontanez.
Merchadie partnered with Cleaning for a Reason because she knows how difficult it can be for cancer patients. She has a family history of the disease.
"This is what we do. We want to make you happy. We wanted her to just sit down, relax and concentrate on her health. Every woman wants a clean house to come home to."
And now, thanks to Cleaning for a Reason and Gladys' Cleaning--after a full day of chemo--Fontanez can too.
- Crime Scene Clean-Up
- Time to Clean Up Your Cloud
- Gainesville Residents Cleaning Up After Severe Weekend Weather
- Gainesville Residents Clean Up Damage From Severe Storms
- More Storm Damage Clean Up
- Gainesville Residents Continue To Clean Up After Weekend Storms
- Bradford County Sheriff's Office Arrests 10 In "Operation Spring Cleaning"
- Pilot Program Begins Soil Clean Up Near Koppers Site
- East Marion Elementary School Undergoes Deep Cleaning After Infection Outbreak
- Waste Water Spill Clean-Up