Columbia County Deputy Forced to Shoot Attacking Dog
A Columbia County Sheriff's Office Deputy had to euthanize an aggressive dog in Lake City. At approximately 3:45 p.m. Thursday, deputies were investigating a complaint at a house on Waldo Road. While servicing that call, the deputies observed a dog attacking a young child in the front yard of the residence.
The dog, who was chained to a tree, was on top of the boy, mauling and shaking him. The sheriff's officers immediately rushed to the aid of the 7 year old boy. One deputy was able to free the child from the dog and move him to safety. The dog continued to bite the child as he was being pulled away. The female pit bull then charged at another deputy, who tried to retreat but the dog kept coming at him aggressively. The officer, who was worried for his and the other officer's safety, shot the attacking dog. The dog died instantly.
Two of the residents of the home became upset that their dog was shot. A verbal and physical dispute with deputies ensued. The two residents scuffled with the Deputies and were eventually arrested. A 17 year old male, whose name is not being released because he is a minor, was charged with obstruction of justice and was released after being booked. 21-year-old Kathy Jo Conrad was charged with battery and resisting an officer. She was released from jail on $10,000 bond.
The 7 year old boy was examined at the scene by Columbia County Fire/Rescue. The child was treated at Shands of Lake Shore for multiple lacerations requiring stitches. The injuries were not life threatening.
- Columbia Co. Deputies Searching for Shooting Suspect
- Deputies Search For Answers In Fatal Dog Attack
- Columbia County Shooting Involving Deputy
- Deputies Forced to Stop Using Stun Guns
- Task Force Recommends Dog Tethering Ordinance
- Judge Rules MCSO Deputies Used Excessive Force on Joshua Salvato, Grants Wrongful Death Award
- Former MCSO deputy found not guilty of excessive force
- Columbia County deputies identify body found in car
- Columbia County Deputy hit by dirt biker
- Three people recovering after being attacked by dogs