Mother and Boyfriend Charged in Python Ordeal
OXFORD, Fla. - Authorities say the mother of a Florida girl
suffocated by a pet python last month has been charged in the
The Sumter County Sheriff's Office says 19-year-old Jaren Ashley
Hare and her boyfriend, 32-year-old Charles Jason Darnell, were
each charged Monday with manslaughter, third-degree murder and
child abuse. Today, Darnell made his first appearance in court.
Cuffed, he answered questions about his finances before Judge Thomas Skidmore. He was appointed a public defender and returned to confinement by jail guards. Darnell was already behind bars facing unrelated narcotics charges.
Two-year-old Shaianna Hare died July 1. Authorities say Darnell
found the 8-foot python wrapped around her that morning. He stabbed
it several times and it eventually released her. According to the state attorney's office report, Darnell and Hare admitted to knowing that the snake needed to be kept in a locked container. However, they did not have a lock for the container and covered it with a blanket, instead.
Deputies say the snake had escaped earlier in the night of the child's death and five times in the past. A medical examiner determined the girl died from asphyxiation.
Hare and Darnell were each being held on $35,000 bond. Court
documents that would list attorneys for them have not yet been
- Two Men Charged with Abusing, Neglecting Their Mother
- Two Men Charged with Abusing Elderly Mother
- Palatka Mother Charged with Death of 5-Week-Old
- Mother Leaves Kids Home Alone, Faces Felony Neglect Charges
- Ocala Teens Slit Mother's Throat, Charged With Attempted Murder
- Air Force Airwoman Charged in Boyfriend's Murder
- Local Teacher Resigns after Drinking Ordeal
- Mother Charged for Administering Unknown Amount of Pills to Children
- Mother Charged In Infant's Bathtub Drowning
- Woman confesses to stabbing boyfriend