Roam Towing becoming "Ridiculous"
It is being called a "ridiculous" problem by some University of Florida students - roam towing. Some say they just want to eat out with friends while the towing companies say it's their job to enforce the rules.
UF Junior Ashley Rowley and her friends have been towed in a parking lot close to UF's campus. They say they visit the particular area often and find themselves looking for their cars or scooters when they return. Multiple signs warn drivers of the potential towing hazards. Rowley says its really become an issue.
"Everyday you know we all just want to come here and eat with all our friends and we can't because not all if us have scooters and so we can't all just come up here and park and so we hardly ever come up here and eat anymore."
"It is important to make sure you're using the businesses that own the parking lot and if you're not using that business, to move on and go closer. The better advice is really to be on foot and you can go where you want to be," says Gainesville City Commissioner Jeanna Mastrodicasa.
TV20 talked to Parking Solutions, one company who monitors the lot. They say they aren't trying to hide what they are doing and are working with students and the city commission to improve towing in Gainesville.
- Roam Towing Violations Means Six Month Suspension
- Driver's Beware Roam Towing Is Still In Effect
- "Bong Bill" Becomes Law, Starts Thursday
- "We've Become Notorious... He's Hijacked the Image of our City," Gainesville Resident Speaks Out
- Advantage Towing gets 10 citations for Illegal Towing
- Towing Companies Won't Be Suspended
- Tow Lot Owner: Arrest Unfair
- Towing Refunds
- Tow truck chase
- Booting vs Towing