Public Service Commissions Chairman Finally Breaks Silence
More allegations are circulating about the Public Service Commissions' close-knit relationship with the utilities it regulates. A motion to have Commissioner Katrina McMurrian recused from the Florida Power and Light rate hearings was filed today, after it was disclosed she attended a dinner in New York City with FPL’s treasurer. FPL is firing back, taking out full page ads in several Florida newspapers.
While Florida Power and Light seeks a 1.3 billion dollar rate increase, new allegations about improper contact between regulators and the regulated are surfacing. Stephen Stewart filed a motion to have Commissioner Katrina McMurrian removed from the FPL hearings, after it was revealed she had dinner in New York with FPL’s treasurer.
After a week of avoiding the media, PSC Chairman Matthew Carter finally answered questions about the commission’s questionable relationship with the utilities it regulates.
“I don’t think we need to respond to allegations of unproven truths or half-truths of innuendo or rumor or gossip” said Carter. “What we need to do is look at our structure.”
State Senator Mike Fasano sent a letter to PSC Chairman Matthew Carter last week asking Carter to halt the rate hike hearings until the air is cleared.”
Carter says he hasn’t focused on the letter. Governor Charlie Crist, who has come out against the rate increases, says he will base his reappointments on how the commission votes.
“I’m trying to appoint members that will be sympathetic to the people and the economic challenge that they’re facing. And so that’s a factor, of course” said Crist.
Both McMurrian and Carter are up for reappointment.
- Urban Meyer Breaks Silence on Aaron Hernandez
- Emilia Carr Breaks Silence
- City Commission Votes to Approve Biomass Settlement, Will Hold Public Meeting in January
- Changes to Gainesville City Commission Public Comments
- Opening of Bob Graham Center for Public Service Gives Pause to Former Governors
- Bob Graham Center for Public Service Nominations
- Alachua County Commission Makes Final Choice for County Manager
- Final Gainesville City Commission Forum
- Gainesville Commission At-Large Candidates Focus on GRU at Final 4A Forum
- BioMass Plant: Silenced Committee Member Speaks Out