Soldier from Melrose dies in Combat in Afghanistan
Staff Sgt. Bryan Berky, who was from Melrose, Fla. and based in Afghanistan, died in combat over the weekend. Berky was killed by enemy fire on Saturday, just one day after the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
He was killed during a troop operation in Bala Baluk, a city in the southern region of Afghanistan. Three other U.S. troops were killed in the same attack.
Berky was based out of Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota. He was a member of the 28th Civil Engineer Squadron and assigned to the 28th Bomb Wing.
Berky was 25 years old and had just recently become a father. He is the second airman based at Ellsworth to die in operations in Afghanistan.
- NCF Soldier Dies In Afghanistan
- Soldier from Citra is Killed in Afghanistan
- Soldier Leaves for Afghanistan after Home Burns Down
- Marine Wayne Vincent Dies in Combat
- 2 Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan IED Attack
- Soldier Killed in Afghanistan Buried in Panhandle
- Soldier's Attorney Plans Trip To Afghanistan
- An Injured Soldier From Williston Returns To The U.S.
- GPD Officer Dies From Injuries; Driver Has First Court Appearance
- Officer Dies From Injuries