Baby Rescued From Kitchen Fire In Ocala
Ocala firefighters responded this afternoon to a small kitchen fire at Parkside Garden Apartments, 621 NW 2nd St., Ocala.
A friend of the tenant told authorities she was cooking on the stove, and briefly left a seven-month-old baby alone in the apartment; she is the child's godmother.
While she was out the contents on the stove top caught fire. People nearby the complex noticed the smoke and tried to use fire extinguishers before Ocala Fire Rescue arrived.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire and cleared smoke from the apartment. Damage is estimated at $2,500 and was limited to the second floor apartment.
The building department recommended the tenant vacant the premises until the apartment can be cleaned. Fortunately there were no injuries and the baby is unharmed.
Firefighters suggest that citizens never leave the kitchen while cooking or microwaving food, and to have a working smoke alarm.
View Baby Rescue Ocala in a larger map
- Ocala Fire Rescue Ranks 28th Busiest in Nation
- Inside of Ocala's Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Training
- Ocala Fire Rescue: 125 Years of History
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Responds to Two Fires at Same Location
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Investigating Second Recent Fire in Apartment
- Fire Rescue Budget Under Fire
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Educates Residents On Fire Assessment Fees
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Extinguish House Fire
- Kitchen Problems Temporarily Shut Down Gainesville Retirement Home
- Gainesville Tour Of Kitchens