Baby Rescued From Kitchen Fire In Ocala
Ocala firefighters responded this afternoon to a small kitchen fire at Parkside Garden Apartments, 621 NW 2nd St., Ocala.
A friend of the tenant told authorities she was cooking on the stove, and briefly left a seven-month-old baby alone in the apartment; she is the child's godmother.
While she was out the contents on the stove top caught fire. People nearby the complex noticed the smoke and tried to use fire extinguishers before Ocala Fire Rescue arrived.
Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire and cleared smoke from the apartment. Damage is estimated at $2,500 and was limited to the second floor apartment.
The building department recommended the tenant vacant the premises until the apartment can be cleaned. Fortunately there were no injuries and the baby is unharmed.
Firefighters suggest that citizens never leave the kitchen while cooking or microwaving food, and to have a working smoke alarm.
View Baby Rescue Ocala in a larger map
- Inside of Ocala's Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Training
- Ocala Fire Rescue officials debuts new artifacts museum
- Puppy saved from mobile home fire
- Ocala apartment fire leaves neighbors concerned
- Ocala Fire & Rescue gets new vehicles
- Ocala National Forest Fire prompts road closures
- Horses Taken from Rescue Farm
- Baby Born On Front Steps Of Lawtey City Hall
- Update: County knew about fire station closure ahead of time
- City, county play hot potato with fire rescue