Bomb Squad, Haz-Mat Team respond to backpack full of sand
Update: Monday October 19,2:43pm:
The situation is over. The backpack only contained sand.
The Alachua County bomb squad was called out Monday after a suspicious package was found at the student union.
University Police say they found a backpack taped shut, that was left in a loading dock at the University of Florida Reitz Student Union.
The Alachua County Bomb Disposal Unit is at the scene. No one has been injured.
Around 1:45pm today, authorities told TV-20 that they opened the bag. There is white powder in it. So a hazardous material team has come to the scene.
- Marion County HazMat and Urban Search and Rescue Teams Receive Federal Grant
- Alachua County is Home to the Oldest Active Bomb Squad Technician in the Country
- Bomb Squad Training
- Bomb Squad Detonates Device from Ocklawaha
- Bomb Squad Blows Up Explosive
- NYPD Bomb Squad Gives All-Clear In Times Square
- Police respond to bomb threats
- Responders train for bomb explosion
- Sand bags ready for Tropical Depression
- Sand bag locations throughout North Central Florida