Jail Drug Smuggle Attempt Fails
Three people are charged today after trying to smuggle drugs into the Columbia County Detention Facility (Jail).
The three were arrested Saturday, and according to Columbia County deputies, they conspired to sneak prescription narcotics into the facility.
Two of the three, David Ritch and Walter Allen, were already in the jail. The third, Maryellen Rose, was arrested Saturday at her home.
Deputies say Allen and Rose conspired to get the illegal substances into the jail and used Ritch to take the drugs and pass them along.
Allen and Ritch remain locked up. Rose was released on bail.
- Haitians in Custody after Failed Smuggling Attempt
- Woman Smuggles Meth Into Jail
- Failed Arson Attempt in Waldo Investigated
- Alachua County Jail Inmate Attempts Suicide
- Two Attempted Suicides in Two Weeks at the Alachua County Jail
- A Scheme to Score Prescription Drugs Lands a Couple in Jail
- 15 People in Jail After Three Drug Busts
- Drug Court an Alternative to Jail Time for Some Offenders
- Local Man Pleads Guilty to Dino Smuggling
- Smuggled Dinosaur Skeleton Returned to Mongolian Government