Proposed Eastside Annexation Sparks Debate
The proposed annexation of a neighborhood just east of Gainesville into the city has sparked debate among local officials.
Law enforcement officers for both Gainesville and Alachua County protest the move. A political action committee made up of sheriff's deputies posted a billboard on East Hawthorne Road this week. Firefighters bought a newspaper ad. Both encouraged residents to vote "no" in the Nov. 10 election.
But Gainesville City Commissioner Scherwin Henry says those groups have a "special interest" and that residents should do some research before deciding.
The proposal is part of a joint plan between the city and county.
- Censorship or Common Sense? Protests Spark First Amendment Debate
- Kevorkian Sparks Debate
- SW 20th Avenue Annexation?
- Gainesville City Commission Passes Annexation Ordinance
- Annexation Vote Deadline Nears
- Residents in Southeast Gainesville Vote "No" on Annexation
- Annexation Referendum Gets Mixed Review From Alachua County Residents
- City of Gainesville wants to Annex a Part of Alachua County
- Gainesville Wants to Annex Parts of Alachua County
- Alachua Delays Annexation of Battery Plant