Fire Destroys Home in Fairbanks
"This right here was the bathroom, " says Sandra Markham as she surveys the damage of her destroyed mobile home in Fairbanks.
A fire broke out Wednesday night, and within moments, her home turned to ash. Markham says she was out fishing at the time when her husband, who was home, heard popping sounds coming from the back bedroom.
Markham says Alachua County Fire Rescue didn't allow her to see her home until Thursday morning because of the considerable damage, and when she did, she was in disbelief.
"I was weak, almost went down." We met Sandra back in March as she was volunteering at the St. Francis House, helping feed the homeless. Now, that's exactly what she is. The Red Cross is putting Markham and her husband up in a hotel until Friday, but after tomorrow, she may soon be without a place to stay.
"I might stay here in my truck," she told TV20. The fire, she says, couldn't have come at a worse time; she was planning on having Thanksgiving dinner here with her family.
Markham hasn't had the chance to sift through what she may be able to salvage. She says picking up the pieces will be hard to do. Alachua County Fire Rescue hasn't determined the exact cause, but according to Markham, the fuse box in the back bedroom is to blame. She tells us, she doesn't have insurance and isn't able to rebuild. So, after helping people who were homeless, she's now the one looking for help.
- Four Mobile Homes Destroyed by Fires in Citra
- Fire Destroys Gainesville Mobile Home
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Gainesville Home
- Apartment Fire Destroys Two Families Homes
- Fire Flares Up Twice, Destroys Home
- Fire Destroys Gainesville Home
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Home Near Jonesville
- Fire Destroys Apartment Building
- Fire Destroys Shelter's Office
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Gainesville Warehouse